Chief Operating Officer
Manages the benefits administration team and all system related benefits issues/improvements/roll outs for a mid-size Professional Employer Organization (PEO).
- Mentor and develop the Benefit Administration team while monitoring day to day processes.
- Meet with staff on a regular basis to evaluate workflow and progress.
- Ensure that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets
- Attend all vendor meetings with team as necessary.
- Strategize on and set up structure for annual open enrollment process.
- Lead development of open enrollment communications and education.
- Involved with annual renewal process, including but not limited to providing comprehensive financial analysis, benchmarking, and proposed recommendations for plan changes
- Supervise and improve on the client benefit menu process.
- Analyze and monitor internal processes for efficiency.
- Foster and maintain ongoing relationships with existing health plan vendors and prospective vendors.
- Provide technical expertise to internal stakeholders in the areas of benefit policy and programs.
- Manage all Employee Self Service Benefit Portal maintenance.
- Develop and provide interdepartmental trainings as they pertain to systems and updates.
- Assist sales with underwriting prospect questions and calls as related to plan details.
- Facilitate all HR operations including benefit administration
- Responsible for the management and administration of all employee benefit plans and wellness programs, including but not limited to medical, dental, life, disability, supplemental plans, FSA, HSA, COBRA, and 401(k).
- Work closely with benefit vendors, brokers, and consultants to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction and superior administration.
- Define strategies for each benefit program, evaluate usage and effectiveness and align the program structure to overall business objectives, including maintaining a competitive position within the industries with which we compete for talent.
- Develop and implement proactive communication strategies to maximize the value of benefits to the employees and the organization.
- Manager periodic audits of benefit plans and processes in order to ensure accurate and effective administration and identify opportunities for efficiencies. This includes consistent review of regulatory compliance, including but not limited to ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA and similar federal, state and local regulations.
- Research and keep up to date on industry trends; utilize vendor admin systems to create reports and analyze utilization rates.
- Monitor administrative costs and pricing of benefit programs and recommend cost containment strategies.
- Oversee vendor management, including contracting, value review, and annual renewals.
- Responsible for data integrity, enrollments audits and billing reconciliations.
- Prepare, collect, and organize data for annual plan audits and reporting.
- Maintain an external focus on best practices, regulatory requirements, and the competitive environment.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in a related field.
- 15+ years of experience in the field of Employee Benefits, Human Resources, Group Insurance plans, etc.
- Experience managing employees and performance.
- Exceptional computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Office) and the ability to learn and adapt to new systems.
- Intermediate to advanced level skills with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Fundamental understanding and experience in administration of employee benefits
- Working knowledge of compliance with ERISA, IRS laws, and current regulations pertinent to health and welfare plans
- Strong presentation skills; comfort level speaking to C-suite executives.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and projects at once.
- High level time and work management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing vendor relationships.
- Ability to apply the results of sound research to the design, development, and implementation of benefits policies, programs and practices.
- A high degree of personal integrity and maturity including the ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Flexibility and willingness to scale from tactical to strategic with no ego.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and analytical reasoning, and the ability to manage multiple processes and priorities at once.
- Ability to exercise discretion, judgment, tact and poise in handling highly sensitive and confidential information. Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.